April Meeting Minutes

  • Minute Taker: Baylee Jenkins

  • Leadership Update: Shannon

    • Departmental transparency handbook

      • Adding links to grad school

      • Including go-to people/ resources for questions (e.g., ombud for advisor-mentee challenge questions)

      • Designing for less-frequent updates

        • Having point-people for particular resources/ questions

          • Chain of command for particular issues

        • Annual/ bi-annual lookovers to make sure the handbook is up-to-date

    • DEI Events

      • Including a possible link on the website to an updating document, accessible by everyone, of events that are happening

        • Possibly having a 399 student involved in doing this

        • Hannah has great resources

    • Committee to meet to discuss departmental demographic survey

  • Subcommittee updates + action items: Krystal

    • [for next academic year/ over summer] potentially forming a subcommittee concerning a virtual diversity day for interested potential applicants

      • For our undergraduate students: highlighting grad school benefits, social problems currently trying to solve - showing the relationship between addressing social injustices and attending graduate school

        • Diversifying the pipeline committee

      • Including more messaging about psychology degrees in 195

        • Messaging salience

        • Increasing engagement with current resources

      • Non-academic routes for psychology degrees (both bachelors and advanced)

        • How psychology degrees help prepare students for industry jobs

        • Potentially including as a SONA credit - students learn about these and then take survey

    • Resources committee point-person: Hannah Wild

    • Admissions committee: 

      • Send out to everyone who interviewed in 2022 to begin data process

        • Feelings of inclusion

      • Possibly surveying applicants about their perceptions of diversity & inclusion after receiving an offer and interviewing, etc. 

        • Potentially before offers go out

        • Emphasizing anonymity and access after decisions go out

          • Increase honest answers, reducing possible pressure to only provide positive feedback from applicants

      • Wanting to include questions about feelings of safety & willingness to enroll

        • Information to include on survey: quality control - grad panel, interview scheduling opinions

    • Diversifying the pipeline

      • Discussing evaluating the content of DEI in the classroom

        • Survey questions to get an idea of course content, class environment based on both instructor and classmates

        • How to best disseminate survey: creating a Qualtrics and sharing via professors and ask for year and semester taken, course numbers and sections numbers to then split based on courses

          • Goal: Talk to Christia about adding questions to TCEs

            • Using smaller survey at the end of spring 2022 semester to have pilot data to present to Christia?

        • Suggestion: making questions more DEI-related and less broad 

        • Sending questions out to larger committee to receive feedback before survey creation

  • Leadership Committee changes for 2022-2023 academic year

    • Committee should rotate for balance of prioritizing action items

    • Discuss further next meeting - students & faculty should think about if they’d like to be involved

      • Voting, increasing transparency

    • Responsibilities: posting meeting minutes, interim meetings between bigger meetings

  • Selection of next reading:

  • Action items:

    • Creating surveys (admissions, diversifying the pipeline) within the next couple of weeks

Tags: