- B.A., Gettysburg College, 2004
- Ph.D., University of Kentucky, 2011
Despite the existence of effective treatments for many common mental health conditions (e.g., anxiety, depression), only a fraction of patients receive research-supported care. The overarching goal of my work is to refine psychological interventions so that they stand a better chance of getting into the hands of the individuals that need them. This is accomplished through the following research aims:
- Identification of transdiagnostic mechanisms that drive symptom expression across the range of emotional disorders (i.e., anxiety, depressive, and related disorders)
- Development of psychological treatment elements that directly address these mechanisms
- Improving the potency and efficiency of existing treatments to increase the likelihood of their implementation in community practice
- Attention to stigmatized and understudied phenomena like borderline personality disorder and other high-risk sequlea of emotional disorders (e.g., self-injurious thoughts and behaviors, anger)
Dr. Sauer-Zavala will NOT be reviewing applications for prospective graduate students for the 2023/2024 academic year. Additionally, undergraduates interested in gaining research experience in treatment develop and clinical trials are encouraged to reach out.
Dr. Sauer-Zavala enjoys training others to provide evidence-based treatment. In the context of her role in UK's Clinical Psychology doctoral program, she trains students to provide Dialectical Behavior Therapy, along with other transdiagnostic interventions for borderline personality disorder and comorbid emotional disorders. Additionally, Dr. Sauer-Zavala travels internationally to provide training on the Unified Protocol.
Dr. Sauer-Zavala has co-authored over 110 articles, chapters, and books. Her peer-reviewed publications can be viewed here. Information about her books can be found below.
Sauer-Zavala, S. & Barlow, D.H. (2021). Neuroticism: A New Framework for Emotional Disorders and their Treatment. Guilford Press.
Barlow, D.H., Sauer-Zavala, S., Farchione, T.J., Murray Latin, H., Ellard, K.E., Bullis, J.R., Bentley, K.H., Boettcher, H.T., Cassiello-Robbins, C. (2018). The Unified Protocol for the Transdiagnostic Treamtent of Emotional Disorders: Client Workbook. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
Barlow, D.H., Farchione, T.J., Sauer-Zavala, S., Murray Latin, H., Ellard, K.E., Bullis, J.R., Bentley, K.H., Boettcher, H.T., Cassiello-Robbins, C. (2018). The Unified Protocol for the Transdiagnostic Treamtent of Emotional Disorders: Therapist guide. New York, NY: Oxford University Press.